As I have written about, we have a 2.5 bedroom apartment. Peep is currently sleeping in the 0.5 bedroom and the plan is that she and her new sister Teapot will be sharing the full 2nd bedroom at some point in the near future. The original plan was to move them in together pretty soon after Teapot arrives, but Peep has since decided that she’d like to stay in her little room for longer. I don’t blame her – she wants some things to stay the same.
So, that means that we will have an interim 2nd bedroom design. Currently, the room has our guest bed, and junk in it. Soon it will have our guest bed and Teapot in it. An upgrade, to be sure! Also, I will probably simply sleep with her for the beginning, so keeping the guest bed a bit longer will help us all get a good night’s sleep. (Actually, my husband and Peep will get great nights of sleep on the other side of the apartment – Teapot and I will do the midnight get-to-know-you’s.)
Even though this will be an interim design, I want to set it up for when Peep moves in. That mean’s picking colors and some artwork and a layout that will work in the short and long term.
Here are the design choices I’ve made so far:
1. Artwork: Fox with Sparkler – Coral & Tusk (this is a postcard my sister sent when we found out about Teapot); Knitty, Knitty – Ashley Goldberg (I love knitting and bought this for Peep when she was born – can’t wait to teach both of them to knit!) ; A Girl Without Freckles…- Finny & Zook (I bought this for Peep when her nose became host to hundreds of perfect freckles. I am also a freckled chica who has learned to love them over a lifetime.)
2. Chair Ikea Poäng (our’s is actually orange, but it’s no longer available on their website). I’m not sure if this will fit in the interim room, but I’m hoping to squeeze it in.
3. Dresser - I chose this Ikea Tarva that will be for both girls, and also be the changing table. Peep and I are planning on painting it in a similar way to the dresser shown which I found at the blog PoppyTalk.
4. Fabric – We have an extra door that goes to the front hall we don’t use. I plan on hanging this fabric (found at a local store – I didn’t write down the maker – blame the pregnancy brain on that one!) over the door at the head of Teapot’s bed to cover the door, and give her a defined space.
5. Paint – I’m not sure this is a totally accurate gray, but we’re going with a light gray with white woodwork.
6. Crib – Out comes the trusty Stokke! I can’t wait to have it back in our daily lives.
7. Layout – I’ve posted about this before – here is a look of the room with Teapot & the queen bed.
If you’d like to see more of my musings about a shared girl’s room, head over to Pinterest – my board is here.